Monday, May 12, 2008

Whole Enchiladas



Ok, these were heavily inspired by all of the good-looking Mexican food over at Veg*n Musings.
I'd never made enchiladas before, though I've loved many. Her recipes made me believe I could try to make my own. I forgot to add sauce on the bottom of the pan, so they were a bit dry, but I'll remember that for next time. Still, muy delicioso.

For the sauce, I roasted tomatillos, jalapenos, Anaheim peppers, and garlic before throwing them in a pot to simmer with tomato sauce, cinammon, and maple syrup. The insides of the enchiladas are black beans, onions, and bell peppers. Topped with pumpkin seeds. Saved leftover sauce. Threw a side-salad of lettuce, mango, and avocado together. And then we made the nut cheese.

Ew. I know. "Nut cheese" is not the best-sounding food item, but it serves as a cheesy/sour creamy substitute sometimes. There are tons of versions of this on the 'net and in raw foods restaurants, but ours is:

1/2 cup of cashew pieces (unsalted)
dash of Bragg's Amino Acids
1/4 cup of nutritional yeast
1/4 cup of water
1/2 teaspoon of agar-agar (vegan thickening agent)

Whip it up in a food processor and ole! Que rico!

No comments: